I’m sure you’ve heard it before.
Stay calm, DON’T PANIC!
But, staying calm when you feel the panic start to rise in your body is far easier said than done.
This past Thursday, I got to experience some full on panic in a classic bathroom freakout moment.
And, it reminded me of three truths:
- We can get ourselves out of panic as easily as we get into it.
- Panic serves NO purpose in furthering our business.
- Panic can provide invaluable feedback when we can slow down enough to realize that it is a natural part of learning.
There’s really three Zones:
- The Comfort Zone – we do what we are comfortable with and know automatically
- The Learning Zone – learning new things that stretch us out of the comfort zone
- The Panic Zone – overshooting the learning zone and hitting a flight, fright, or freeze reaction
When you find yourself in the next moments of PANIC, allow yourself to feel the panic for a few seconds, acknowledge its existence instead of trying to shove it aside, take a deep breath, and slow your mind and body down so that you have access to creating a viable solution.